Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Reason to be upset

So today in Theology we were talking about life issues and our topic was anorexia. Across the United States 8 million people are affected by eating disorders, 7million of them women and 1 million of them men. People identify their self worth and value in attaining the ideal body. Most people who are anorexic are 15% below body weight and have a fear of becoming fat. So many people have eating disorders because they see the ideal body as a chiseled smooth body with little to no body fat. Our society gets that image from the media. We see all the movie stars, celebrities and who ever else and want to be just like them. That is the ideal body that Americans think of. Our discussion today focused on that thanks to our resident airhead and careless chatter box. According to her the ideal size for women is like a double zero or something. Apparently our size scale is too big so now we need a double zero. However this girl also brought up the fact that now the media is gradually slipping in the “big is beautiful.” Ok yeah duh as one of my teachers says there’s more of the person to love. Being big isn’t a bad thing however when people call a 6-8 a plus size they are so wrong. I’m sorry but I’m not that fat and I wear a bigger size than a “plus size.” What the hell. And you wonder why people have problems and worry about their weight. If we are going around saying a 6 or 8 is a plus size there is something seriously wrong with our culture. We are created in the image and likeness of God therefore we should not worry about obtaining some unrealistic image the media puts forth. Apparently being skinny or having an eating disorder isn’t fun or easy so why do people want to be like the unhappy “models” of America. I can understand wanting to loose a few pounds to get a trimmer fit, go down ONE size in pants or work off all the holiday goodies but seriously people don’t listen to the media, it’s not healthy. If the guy down the street doesn’t like you, don’t become anorexic, someone out there loves you for who you are don’t change for others, let them see you for who you are. And hey maybe the guy likes you, he’s just shy. Your looks and outside appearance should be the last thing you think about although I do admit I think about it a lot. Want to know why? Cause there are people in this world that judge by outside looks. I’m not looking to gain their favor I’m just looking to not get picked on and made fun of. I don’t always look my best but I deal with it. And there’s nothing wrong with looking good or nice so dress up spend time on your hair but not an hour. I am thankful to have friends who, as far as I am concerned, don’t care all that much about what I wear. One of my friends complained he couldn’t see my eyelashes, I don’t care. I just wear mascara now because it makes me look a little bit more awake. Anyway to conclude… big is beautiful (and I don’t mean big as in 6-8) so please don’t get discouraged. Feeling better about yourself isn’t the end of the world either whether you are petite, small, medium, or whatever. You are created in the image and likeness of God. This means you are meant to be the way you are. You do have to right to feel good about yourself but you should never identify you self worth with your body and self image. Oh and I can’t stand the girls who clearly spend at least 15 minutes on their makeup and then their hair looks like they slept with it in a pony tail, it really isn’t attractive. I understand it’s the style or trend or whatever it’s called now-a-days but break away, be original you hair should look nice, not like a wild mane. That’s all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home