Monday, September 11, 2006

IT"S NOT AN ANNIVERSARY!!!

It’s not an anniversary! 5 years ago today the United States experienced one of the most devastating moments in its history. Most all Americans were touched by it and if not they at least know about it. I find it extremely difficult to call September 11th an anniversary. When I think of the word anniversary I think of something joyous, and as far as I am concerned September 11 isn’t something joyous. The Webster’s dictionary defines it as: 1) the date on which some event occurred in an earlier year 2) the celebration of such an event on that day in following years. I can understand how people find reason in calling it an anniversary because of the first definition I have presented. But keep in mind the same word also has celebration in the definition. The thing is we don’t have any other word for it. We could call it a memorial, a commemoration, a remembrance, or a tribute but instead the country, lacking in any English skills and imagination chooses the word anniversary. Unfortunate it’s going to stay like that because people really don’t care what they call it as long as it’s brought up every year.

I remember September 11 2001 very clearly. I was 13 and in 7th grade. My Dad was a pilot for United Airlines and he was supposed to fly to Boston that day. My school was trying to keep us from finding out more about the attacks. We only heard what they told us. They wouldn’t even let me call home to see if my Dad was still at home. It was eleven days after that my Dad retired. It wasn’t because of the attacks; it was because some higher authority says pilots have to retire at a certain age. My school wouldn’t give me an excused absence to go on his last flight but I didn’t care. His last flight was to New York LaGuardia. As we started our decent he flew us directly over Ground Zero. I could not believe what I saw. I remember once we were on vacation in New Jersey and my mom woke me up to watch the sun come up between the Twin Towers. I wasn’t too excited because it was early and after all they were just buildings. Now I wish I had paid more attention, but only something like September 11 would. I remember being on that plane looking down over twisted rubble, smoke still rising, debris on surrounding buildings, and dust all over. After seeing something like that there is no excuse to call September 11 an anniversary. If you saw what I saw you might understand where I am coming from. Or if you lost someone or know someone who’s a pilot or flight attendant I would hope you don’t see September 11 as an anniversary.

Now American is at war in the Middle East and there is no close end. My uncle was in the air force for a long time. He retired in July of 2000 or 2001 I don’t remember but I do remember that after September 11 he told us that he was ready to pull out his boots again and start polishing them. September 11 lead us to Afghanistan and now we are in Iraq. I ask that if you believe in prayer that you pray for all the victims of September 11 and their families, all the pilots and flight attendants and their families, for the troops and everyone in the armed services, and most importantly for our politicians that they do the best thing for the country.

September 11 2001 should never be forgotten. We have movies out now to remind us of that day. World Trade Center the new movie with Nicholas Cage is a clear depiction of September 11. I never thought I’d recommend it to anyone but I am. I was defiant in seeing it. I couldn’t accept the fact that Hollywood would make millions of dollars off a national Tragedy. My friends convinced me to see it, and after paying for my ticket in pennies (if they want my money they have to work for it) I consented. The movie was very powerful. I admit, I cried but it wasn’t till the end when the movie was over and the facts began to scroll. I was crying and trying to keep it in so my whole body was shaking. I don’t think America will ever forget the events of September 11; but as long as we remember it, let us remember it as a tribute, a remembrance, and memorial, not as an anniversary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home